Jilau and Taror Gold Mines
Jilau and Taror Gold Mines
Jilau and Taror Gold Mines
Jilau and Taror Gold Mines
Jilau and Taror Gold Mines
  • Location
    Sogdiyskaya state, Tajikistan
  • Ownership
  • Project status
    In operation + Technical upgrading and expansion
  • Deposit Type
  • Mineral Resources (Inclusive of Mineral Reserves)
    Contained gold of 3.34Moz with grade of 1.86g/t
  • Mining & Processing methods
    Open-pit mining + flotation
  • 2022 Production
    Mined gold: 209koz
  • Project Overview

    At the time of its acquisition by Zijin, the project had been suffering from losses for several years. Zijin swiftly implemented management and technological innovations, successfully turning it from a loss-making business to a profitable one. The project is now the largest gold producer in Tajikistan.

  • Debottlenecking and Expansion

    The project has a production capacity of 6.5 tonnes of gold per annum. The 500 tonnes per day pressure oxidation project have been put into operation in 2023.

  • ESG

    With a strong commitment to community education and support for vulnerable groups, the project actively engages in enhancing community infrastructure. It provides financial assistance to over 20 schools in the communities each month, and consistently offers support to orphanages, handicapped people’s care centers, and nursing homes.

    The project donated funds to establish a kindergarten in the city of Panjakent, which was put into use in March 2018 with President Emomali Rahmon attending the ribbon-cutting ceremony. The kindergarten is the largest and best-equipped early childhood education facility in the area.

    In February 2021, the project renovated and constructed flush toilets for 25 primary schools in the town of Sugdiana. In September 2020, a school built by the project on the outskirts of Panjakent was put into use, accommodating 640 students. In 2022, the project implemented an off-take program for agricultural products produced by women in the surrounding communities, enabling them to earn an income without leaving their hometown.

  • M&A

    In 2007, Zijin Mining acquired a 100% interest held by CBML, a British company, indirectly obtaining a 75% interest in Zeravshan Gold Company in Tajikistan. Currently, Zijin Mining holds a 70% interest and the Tajikistan government holds the remaining 30%.