Zijin News - On July 12, Zijin Mining held its 2022 Semiannual Work Conference. During the meeting, employees were called on to help build the company’s global competitiveness at an accelerated pace. They were encouraged to create new value based on high standards, and help turn Zijin into a green, high-tech, leading global mining company.
Chairman Chen Jinghe said that Zijin achieved sound performance in the first half of the year. As key projects gradually reach their nameplate capacity, the company’s output increased significantly, turning its resources into socio-economic benefits more quickly.
Chairman Chen elaborated on the company’s expansion into renewable energy and advanced materials. He noted that demand in these sectors will surge as policies for carbon peaking and carbon neutrality are implemented. The green energy revolution will spawn a massive market and a huge cluster of industries and will have an extremely far-reaching impact on the economy, including the mining industry.
He said Zijin managed to catch up with others in a short space of time, thanks to its efficient decision-making and strong execution. Controlling two lithium salar projects and a hard-rock lithium mine, the company now ranks No.9 in the world and No.3 in China in terms of the resources of lithium carbonate equivalent.
Chairman Chen added that Zijin has laid a solid basis in the resources and production capacity of battery metals like copper and lithium. As it engages in new competitions, these metals will become Zijin’s major source of profit growth. They will also be key to the transformation of its business in the new era.
He set out the priorities for Zijin in the second half of 2022 and the years ahead:
· Ensure stronger-than-expected performance and meet the company’s development goals. And make plans for the next three years in advance;
· Fast-track the construction of projects already initiated and make sound preparations for projects in the pipeline;
· Foster more growth projects by continuously adding resources;
· Seek to achieve breakthroughs in battery metals and related industries so as to become a major supplier of minerals critical to the energy transition and gradually expand the company’s business in advanced materials;
· Pursue green and low-carbon development; conduct ESG work according to international standards; strictly control energy consumption and carbon emissions. And overseas entities of the company should do a good job in the online monitoring of water quality; and
· Refine and promote Zijin’s corporate culture, and encourage cultural integration. And step up internal supervision and fight against business corruption.
Zou Laichang, President of Zijin Mining, reviewed the work done by the company in the first half of the year, pointed out problems and shortcomings, and raised requirements on work in the second half of the year. These include:
· Deepen corporate reform and ensure a global operation and management system begin to take shape;
· Focus on growth targets and strive for a perfect conclusion to the first phase of the company’s ten-year development trajectory; and
· Enhance Zijin’s corporate image and benchmark its ESG programs against those of its leading international peers, to win more respect and recognition for the public.
Editor: Liu Xing Translator: Li Yuanxing Editor-in-Chief: Wang Jie